Vous n'êtes pas identifié(e).

#1 11-10-2012 11:21:22

BrocasHelm
Membre
Lieu : Le Mans

The cost of your Hellfest

Last year, someone made a topic asking for the price of food and drinks. I thought it would be a good idea to create a topic summing up the prices of everything you foreign metalheads may need in order to easily calculate the total cost of your Hellfest experience.

JOURNEY COSTS

- Gasoline: varies between 1.6€ and 1.3€ a liter (roughly a 1/4 gallon). Diesel is of course the cheaper.
- Highway tolls: if you come by car, French highways are practical but pretty expensive. If you come from GB by ferry, you should arrive either at Cherbourg or Caen, you shouldn't have to pay any toll. If you come by tunnel you'll arrive at Calais: count a 44€ toll to get to Clisson.
From Northern Europe, you should pass by Lille: 51€ toll to Clisson.
From Germany, if you pass by Strasbourg, count 70€.
From Italy, via Chambery: 69€.
From Spain, via Pau: 52€. Via Perpignan: 63€.
Finally, if you land at Paris: 32€.
CAUTION: Speed limit is 130km/h (80mph) on the highway, 90 (55mph) on the national roads, and 50 (31mph) in town. Radars and everywhere and the fines are severe, so don't take the chance

CAMPING GEAR
(Prices given are from Decathlon stores. You may find cheaper gear at supermarkets)

- Tents (Quechua 2sec): 1 person 30€, 2 people 50€, 3 people 60€
- Ice box (basic): 20€ to 30€
- Air mattress: 1 person 15€, 2 people 23€
- Table: 20€
- Chair: 12€
- Backless chair: 7€
- Casibo: 50€ (at supermarkets)

FOOD AND DRINKS
(These are the average prices of the cheapest products you can get at E.Leclerc stores, since the closest store to the festival area is an E.Leclerc)
- Canned fish (tuna, mackerel...): 0.50€ to 1.50€
- Crisps: 0.75€
- Cold meat (bacon, dried sausage...): 1.50€, ham is more expensive at around 2€
- Sandwiches: 0.80€
- 500g salads: 1.75€ to 2€
- Bread: the baguette is at around 0.70€, large bags of sliced bread come at 1.30€
- Breakfast cake / biscuits: depends on what you choose, count 0.80€ to 2€
- Soft drinks: 1.30€ for a 1.5L bottle of Coca Cola, 1.30€ a 1L bottle of orange juice, 4.60€ a 4-pack of Red Bull energy drink
- Water: the cheapest you can get is 6x1.5L for 1€

BOOZE
Beers
(These are just a few examples of common brands)
- Heineken, 6-pack: 4.12€ (cans), 3.18€ (glass bottles)
- Kronembourg, 26-pack: 9.90€
- Grimbergen, 6-pack: 4€
Whisky (Label 5, 70cl): 11.37€
Vodka (generic brand 70cl): 7.68€ (Poliakov 1L): 14€
Jägermeister 70cl: 18€ (rare and expensive, be careful)

ON-SITE FOOD AND DRINKS
(Prices are those of the previous edition. They may change)
- Tokens: they're used to pay for your drinks. They'll have to be bought at token banks at the rate of 1€ / 1 token.
- Beer: 2.5€ a cup of 25cl. Note that the first time you buy a beer you have to pay an extra euro for the cup. The cup will have to be deposited if you wish to have another beer. If you lose your cup, you have to pay an extra euro again.
- Food: the fast-food stands are run by private businesses who do not depend on the festival (apart from renting the stand). As such, they will not accept festival tokens as a mean of payment, only cash ! They're also expensive: 6€ to 7€ a hot sandwich (hot dog, kebab...), 10€ a pizza, for example.

CURRENCY EXCHANGE RATES
As of February 17th, 2014, 1 Euro is worth:
0.82 Sterling Pounds
1.37 U.S. Dollars
1.50 Canadian Dollars
1.22 Swiss Francs
8.33 Krones
106.54 Dinars
11.22 Dirhams
139.53 Yens
1454.54 Wons
18.14 Pesetas
10.70 Argentinian Pesetas
3.27 Reals
48.07 Rubles
14.89 Rands

That's it for now, this list is to be completed of course, so feel free to ask questions.

Dernière modification par BrocasHelm (17-02-2014 12:52:19)

HF 09 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13; Wacken 2012 - 13; Motocultor 2012 - 13

Wizard Asso Crew ! cool  Soutenez la scène Sarthoise, devenez Sorcier ! www.wizard-asso.fr
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wizard-A … 838?ref=hl

#2 28-11-2012 19:21:45

Mercian
Membre

Re : The cost of your Hellfest

After a lengthy trip from Dover to Clisson in 2012 I think I’ll be going back to Plan A if 2013 looks to be a good year for bands.

Our route in 2011 took us by car from London to Portsmouth, ferry to Cherbourg and then toll-free drive to Clisson. If you’re coming from England (unless you live in Kent or the east of England) then I’d recommend this journey. The mistake we made last year was being tempted by the cheap (and quick) Eurotunnel train which gets you over the channel in minutes. The drive from Calais to Clisson is then longer so you tot up a little more cash in terms of fuel, but you’ll also feel a major sting when it comes to road taxes. I think we managed to build a huge 70 euros both there and the same amount back again. Not good. Couple this with a huge drive and you can see why the Cherbourg route is better.

The ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg is a much longer, and much more expensive, way to cross the Channel. But the benefits on the French side are considerable: a shorter drive and no tolls. All in all it probably works out at about the same price.*

If the bands on in 2013 look good, I will go, and with the following budget in mind:

-    tent and camping gear (already have all of this so it goes in the car).
-    diesel - shall buy most of this in France since it’s a little cheaper. The whole cost of fuel there and back should come to no more than £120 i.e £60 per person.
-    the ferry is about £220 for two adults and a car (return) so that’s £110 for one person. That’s Portsmouth-Cherbourg and back.
-    tolls: £0
-    £50 to spend on snacks and wine in the supermarket on the way. If you’re new to travelling in France then most people would thoroughly recommend buying your booze once you’ve entered the country. Wine is especially cheap.
-    the ticket comes to about £150 and don’t by any means rely on picking up a ticket on site. Buy your tickets in advance.
-    tokens: reckon I’ll need about £100 for tokens. Last year the beer inside the concert area was very expensive so we stuck to large jugs of wine which were a far better deal. I’d also back having several drinks before you go into the festival site - drinking on the camp site is fun and less expensive, and will save you some cash. (The wine on the festival site is perfectly drinkable, by the way!)
-    another £50 cash on food in the concert area (expensive, as mentioned above also).
-    £50 miscellaneous

That comes to about £570 all in. If you’re more careful than us then you can do it for cheaper. But the above route and budget is pretty realistic and will leave you enough money to enjoy yourself comfortably. (Hiccup!)

* Any money saving tips are very welcome!

#3 21-01-2013 13:02:28

Buggrit Hall
Membre

To counter the Portsmouth route I am coming to my first Hellfest and am going to be doing the Chunnel-Clisson route. I was originally going to travel Eurostar but the cost and convienience of driving over means going down that path.

There will be the three of us and I've worked it out to around £280 each for the basic costs (Fest ticket,Chunnel,fuel,tolls,travelodge stop over the night before in Kent). So with extras like food and drink I'd say it will work out to around the £500 mark each.

Dernière modification par Buggrit Hall (21-01-2013 13:04:22)

#4 21-01-2013 18:07:09

Carrion
Membre

brocas has been very conprehensive but no way is it jagermeister rare or (relative to uk) expensive, the adjacent suprmarket shios loads of this essential supply in especially for the weekend!

#5 21-01-2013 22:43:37

BrocasHelm
Membre

Actually, Jägermeister is rather hard to find in Western France in normal times. During Hellfest they stack up on it, but the only ones I found were at 18€ a bottle. I don't know what's the price in the UK, but compared to the normal price in Germany (11€) I found that pretty steep.

Wizard Asso Crew ! cool  Soutenez la scène Sarthoise, devenez Sorcier ! www.wizard-asso.fr

#6 22-01-2013 00:57:13

Carrion
Membre

ah its good that we are looked after for the event then!  all french prices are cheaper than uk we find, another reason for us to visit!

#7 22-01-2013 19:47:40

KalleSchwansen
Membre
Lieu : Johannesburg (South Africa)

Flight from Joburg to Dusseldorf (Germany): ~ EUR 2,800.00
Flight from Dusseldorf (Germany) to Toulouse: ~ EUR 150.00
Drive from Toulouse to Clisson and back to Toulouse: ~ EUR 200.00

Fuck, the bloody alcohol is quite expensive!

#8 22-01-2013 21:00:44

pierrolefoo
BTS Liche Appliquée
Lieu : 49

Have you checked the different airports where Easy Jet and Ryan Air fly to/from in Europe? You could find cheaper flights (well, I hope for you), like between Germany and France...

Ni dieu ni maître
Fucked by liche

#9 22-01-2013 21:02:43

BrocasHelm
Membre

Wouldn't it be cheaper to do the whole way by car and take the ferry from Morocco to Spain ? Just watch out for bombs and kalashnikovs when driving through Mali XD

#10 22-01-2013 21:05:26

pierrolefoo
BTS Liche Appliquée

BrocasHelm a écrit :

Wouldn't it be cheaper to do the whole way by car and take the ferry from Morocco to Spain ? Just watch out for bombs and kalashnikovs when driving through Mali XD

lol Cheaper, not sure if you have to give money to every check point! tongue

Ni dieu ni maître
Fucked by liche

#11 31-01-2013 11:17:19

thrash gordon
Membre

Buggrit Hall a écrit :

To counter the Portsmouth route I am coming to my first Hellfest and am going to be doing the Chunnel-Clisson route. I was originally going to travel Eurostar but the cost and convienience of driving over means going down that path.

There will be the three of us and I've worked it out to around £280 each for the basic costs (Fest ticket,Chunnel,fuel,tolls,travelodge stop over the night before in Kent). So with extras like food and drink I'd say it will work out to around the £500 mark each.

Hmm, I'm sure it's not normally cost me anywhere near £500.  We've normally gone by ferry (similar price to chunnel) but with 4-5 of us in the car.  We break up the journey with a cheap hotel near Le Mans - look for Hotel F1, they're very cheap (about £30-40 for the room for 2-3 people I think, much cheaper than a UK hotel anyway!) and automated so you can turn up late at night and you don't actually have to speak to anyone. You get a door code when you book online and that's it.

One thing which is very good about Hellfest is the close proximity of the supermarket - I'd just stock up on baguettes, cheese, and salami etc, keep it in a coolbag and it'd last maybe two days in a tent. You can save a lot as long as you don't mind eating the same thing wink

I think it's normally cost me about £300 each year, but I do really try and stick to a budget.

The Atrocity Exhibit
Grindcore / Crust / Sludge
Bandcamp / Facebook
Previous releases available through Grindcore Karaoke!

#12 23-04-2013 12:18:31

BrocasHelm
Membre

Hellfest is closing in, so I'm bringing this topic back up in case some people want to read it. I also added the latest exchange rates for those heathens who don't pay in Euros  tongue

#13 05-12-2013 15:13:14

Mercian
Membre

I’m already budgeting for Hellfest 2014 – journeying from South East England with car.

For those planning ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg they should check the available routes and appropriate times, since there appear to be less boats in 2014 – or at least less high speed ones! You might have to go to Le Havre on the way and then back via Cherbourg depending on your timetable. The cost of this to us will be £300 (for two passengers plus car there and back) so that’s £150 a head for starters. Seems steep but on balance I still think that the longer ferry route with less tolls and a shorter drive is still a more comfortable option – especially when you’re driving back feeling a little tired.

(Unless any helpful Frenchies can advise on a good toll-free route from Le Havre it looks as though there’s a fee to pay for the road. I’ll probably fork out £50 for my share of the fuel as well.)

There’s the ticket price which is seems higher than I remember it being previously. Of course we’re aware that the organisers are booking lots of great (and big) bands but I don’t remember paying quite so much beforehand! It’s about £160 this year  yikes

Again I’ll probably spend £100 on tokens in the arena, £30 on wine and £20 on food to bring into the festival campsite, maybe another £50 on miscellaneous expenditure.

Regards camping equipment and any other required items, I think we have everything.

I’ll budget for £600 for the whole trip to be safe. Am I overspending? Perhaps I should just drink a little less!

Dernière modification par Mercian (05-12-2013 18:21:58)

#14 05-12-2013 18:11:25

BrocasHelm
Membre

There's always the option for toll-free roads from Le Havre to Clisson... that is, if you're willing to drive through long-ass, 55 mph limited roads that pass through every village on the way...

From Le Havre you'll need to take the route to Caen, then Saint-Lô, Fougères, Rennes, Nantes and finally Clisson. It's over six hours long  sad

There's the map: http://fr.mappy.com/#/5/M2/Ls/TItinerar … .25475/Z4/

#15 05-12-2013 18:26:16

Mercian
Membre

Thanks for the map Brocas.

Yep 6 hours is probably a bit too long! We can do Cherbourg to Clisson in about 4 hours if we don't stop...

Reason I'm asking is that the tolls from Calais to Nantes via Le Mans were surprisingly expensive when we drove down and back again in 2012. Couple this with extra fuel due to it being a longer journey and you might find that the bigger and more costly ferry trip is on balance a decent option.

Also buying food and alcoholic drinks in France is always a safe bet for Brits to save their pennies!!

Dernière modification par Mercian (05-12-2013 18:56:23)

#16 05-12-2013 21:08:35

BrocasHelm
Membre

The thing people need to know is that highway tolls in the Northwest area (from Paris to Nantes, basically) are absurdly expensive compared to the rest of the country, and nobody really understands why (well, apart from highways being run by private companies, so you know, corruption and shit  wink  ), anyway, I live in Le Mans and every year I take the toll-free route, it's a four-hour drive passing by Angers.

So if people come via Calais and are not afraid of spending long hours in the car, a trick to save a few euros is to leave the highway at Chartres and take the small roads all the way from Chartres to Clisson. That would make a 9-hour drive from Calais to Clisson but it shouldn't cost more than 25€ in tolls (so 50€ in tolls for the whole weekend). That might be an option.

Also, beware of those GODDAMN RADARS ! There's a radar-burning movement going on in France right now, so it should be expected that our beloved government will take revenge by setting up more of those bastards during Spring. I don't know about the UK, but we've recently started sharing our police records with Germany, so German fans may have a nasty surprise when they come home to find a speed ticket in the mailbox. As a reminder:

Highways: 130km/h or 80mph
Toll-free highways: 110km/h or 68mph
National roads: 90km/h or 55mph
Towns: 50km/h or 31mph

#17 06-12-2013 15:15:30

Bonhomme
Membre
Lieu : Bretagne, ouéééé \o/

I see no mention of taking a ferry to Roscoff, has that been ruled out (no additional convenient departure times, or too expensive ?)

Mappy gives me an equivalent travel time to Clisson from either Roscoff or Cherbourg

This may offer additionnal possibilities regarding departure dates/hours ?
Also, being britanny, there's no road toll either smile

#18 06-12-2013 16:43:43

Mercian
Membre

The Roscoff route is good for just a three and a half hour drive from the port to Clisson, but the ferry timetable isn't too good. Ferries definitely cheaper on this route, but less boats and no high-speed cruises (I think). Quite good if you're happy to leave late at night and arrive in the morning having slept on the boat. So if you live in South West England this might be a good idea. Otherwise the Cherbourg route seems best.

(Also very happy to see no tolls in Britanny - defiance or just good sense?!)  wink

#19 08-12-2013 11:02:54

Kino92
Membre

Hello metalheads, Anybody knows how is the weather there? I know is june, but, is cold in the evening and the late-night?

Thanks.

#20 08-12-2013 14:51:31

pierrolefoo
BTS Liche Appliquée

Hi Kino92! Welcome!

The weather in june is generally sunny, with warm temperatures.
But, as it is Britany, you can't avoid a rainy day during the Hellfest...And for the last 3 years, it's a bit cold at night (even if loads of alcohol are flowing, it doesn't get your body hot enough...) cool

Ni dieu ni maître
Fucked by liche

#21 09-12-2013 00:12:00

BrocasHelm
Membre

Mercian a écrit :

The Roscoff route is good for just a three and a half hour drive from the port to Clisson, but the ferry timetable isn't too good. Ferries definitely cheaper on this route, but less boats and no high-speed cruises (I think). Quite good if you're happy to leave late at night and arrive in the morning having slept on the boat. So if you live in South West England this might be a good idea. Otherwise the Cherbourg route seems best.

(Also very happy to see no tolls in Britanny - defiance or just good sense?!)  wink

Actually, there's a historical reason why there's no tolls in Britanny, it's because the region remained an independent dukedom until the 16th century, and one the agreements made between Britanny and France was that the King could not raise taxes on the Breton roads. Somehow, nobody called off that law after the Revolution, so even today, tolls in Britanny are illegal   wink

#22 11-12-2013 14:44:03

Kino92
Membre

Thaaaanks you pierrolefoo smile, I'll take my hoodies then hehe. I never been in a fest with less than 40ºC .

#23 17-02-2014 12:57:37

BrocasHelm
Membre

The cost of your Hellfest, 2014 Edition ! cool

Changes from 2013 include the currency exchange rates, of course, as well as a slight increase in on-site beer (now costs 2.5€ a cup). You still pay in tokens on site, at the rate of 1€ / 1 token, so to pay half a token, you just have to split a token in two ! Weird, I know, but you get used to it  big_smile

Also notable changes are the highway tolls that have increased pretty steeply. You may want to consider using the national roads if you come by car, I know it's going to be a long-ass drive, but think of all the beer you can buy with those 70€ you'll have spared ! I'm going to check out the prices of food and camping stuff and update in the next few days.

#24 20-02-2014 22:57:16

Honor&Blood
Membre

Hi there, I'm from Chile and I'll be travelling for the first time to Europe with my girlfriend. I already have tickets to Madrid (they were cheaper that going directly to France) and then I'm heading to Paris (A friend of mine will shelter me.

I have a couple of questions though:

- It's preferable to travel from Madrid to Nantes than Paris (I'll be arriving Madrid on the 18) or first to Paris and then to Clisson?

- If Paris - Clisson is the best option, which transportation should we use (plane, train, bus)?? I need price information too.

Thanks!

Dernière modification par Honor&Blood (20-02-2014 22:57:50)

#25 20-02-2014 23:48:40

BrocasHelm
Membre

Nantes is a bit more south than Paris, so you'll definitely want to go straight from Madrid to Clisson.

I ran simulations and apparently there's a Eurolines bus leaving Madrid on Thursday 19th at 4:30pm to reach Nantes on Friday 20th at 7:30am, then you'd just need a Nantes - Clisson train (there will be plenty during the fest). Cost: 74€ each for bus + 11€ for train = estimate 170€ total (129573 Chilean pesetas)

Or, you can arrive at Hellfest on Thursday if you catch a plane on Wednesday in Madrid at 9:30am, count 90€ each so a total estimate of 202€ (153963 pesetas)

Here's the page I used (it's in French): http://www.kelbillet.com/recherche/rech … _id=27033#

Though I'd strongly recommend trying carpooling, if you can't find any Spanish metalheads at least try to get to Southern France by train and find carpoolers there, it'll be a lot cheaper. If you don't speak French at all I can help you with it. Feel free to ask if you have questions !

#26 21-02-2014 00:00:56

BrocasHelm
Membre

Just dug in some more and found out another possibility via Paris:

Flight from Madrid Barajas to Paris Charles de Gaulle, Wednesday 18th, take off at 4:10pm landing at 6:15pm: 47€ each OR bus leaving Madrid at 9pm to arrive in Paris at 1pm on the Thursday: 45€ each.

Then, once in Paris, either you catch a f**king expensive train to Clisson (no info yet but trust me, it's more expensive than it's worth), or you find carpooling, and you'll have more chances since there's more likely to be Hellfest-goers in Paris than in Southern France. Yup, turns out it's cheaper to pass by Paris even though it's further away...

Info: http://www.kelbillet.com/recherche/rech … _id=26687#

#27 26-02-2014 18:32:04

IronRachel
Membre
Lieu : The Netherlands
Site Web

Okay, so new fees on the highway tolls. Is there a website where I could check the costs or something? Last year we drove with a small bus through Rouen (instead of Paris) and I think we passed 3 toll booths or something.

Also, on Google Maps I see icons of work in progress at Rouen, is that true? smile

#28 26-02-2014 20:44:09

BrocasHelm
Membre

Hi Rachel, that's right, there is indeed work in progress on the A28 highway between Rouen and Alençon, so you might be experiencing slowdowns in this area.

I use Mappy (http://en.mappy.com/) to calculate the costs, as well as my own experiencing of living in Le Mans and using the Northwest highways quite often. That's how I know the Le Mans - Paris one is absurdly expensive compared to the others. You can use Mappy to run simulations with various routes, sometimes you can save several euros just by leaving the highway at one point to get back on it five minutes later !

#29 28-02-2014 15:30:18

IronRachel
Membre
Lieu : The Netherlands
Site Web

Mappy, thanks! big_smile I think we'll take our changes at Rouen then because Paris is probably more horrible.

#30 03-04-2015 15:21:04

kikigege87
Membre
Lieu : Dortmund
Site Web

Hey, everyone!!

This is a very interesting topic and since we're going to the festival for the first time, I'd like to ask for some price references from last year...? Much like the first post of this thread.
It would be very helpful to know at least last year's prices for drinks and food on the festival-area since:
---> a) the Festival FAQ states that we CANNOT bring our own beverages into the festival-area and
---> b) the FAQ states that we CANNOT grill on the camping grounds.

If the FAQ statements are true, that means warm food and alcohol has to be bought in the festival area, which means high prices.
Honestly I'm shocked, since my festival experience (I admit, mostly in Germany) would allow us to grill on an elevated barbecue at the camp-site and take at least tetrapaks into the fest-area, when we go see the bands...

Look forward to your answers wink

Pied de page des forums